That basement remodeling project I recently talked about has really sucked the life out of prop building lately. While I've been working here and there on the cemetery pillars and my gravedigger prop, time that I would've spent building has been going towards, well, building. But not Halloween related stuff.
Today, for example, I had to go to the waste transfer station and dump all the debris that I've accumulated: plaster, cement, lath, and all around construction waste. When I pulled into the depot, it was empty except for one garbage truck, but the truck driver was nowhere to be seen and I had to wait for him to unload before I could go. After about 15 minutes he returned and started unloading, but that's when all the other dump trucks, garbage trucks, township vehicles, etc., started pulling in.
My mini-pickup with my itsy bitsy load of debris was probably seen as more of a hinderance than anything, so I was left cooling my heels while they had all these monster trucks pulling in and out unloading their debris first. Finally, after a half hour of waiting I was able to unload and go on my way, but what should have been a 15 minute run turned into an hour and cut into my day, time that I had planned on using for prop building.
Because when I got home my wife was there and had my honeydew list ready. So after all was said and done, I was able to squeeze a little time in for Halloween, the result of which you see here: the first layer of Monster Mud on the legs of the gravedigger.
By the end of the night I was actually able to get two coats on and am ready for the second layer of fabric to go over it. I'll describe my process in greater detail at a later time, but suffice to say I haven't made as much progress as I'd like and while there are still several months to go, I see that once again I'll be reining in my list of expectations.
9 hours ago