Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dust to Dust

When I've sculpted hands or heads, such as the one for my Madog gravedigger prop, I've used a home-made paper clay from cellulose insulation. I like the ability to achieve a certain level of detail very inexpensively. The one drawback I found, however, is the paper pulp itself is somewhat lumpy so that a smooth texture is difficult to achieve.

What I tried to do to compensate for that, on Madog anyway, was to cover it with several thin coats of Monster Mud. That gave me a very nice base to paint on, but I'd like to avoid having to use that extra step if I could.

My thinking, therefore, was to grind if possible the cellulose into a fine powder using a food chopper, you know, like the Braun handhelds that have attachments with high-speed spinning blades and containers. I used three different models (don't ask why I have three food grinders), but while a fine dust was made, the bulk of the cellulose didn't break down all that much. It became a little finer I guess, but perhaps because it was so light that it spun at almost the same speed as the blades and didn't get cut up nearly as much as I wanted. So I'll have to try another means of getting a fine powder without the expense of going out and buy a specific product.

If anyone has suggestions on how I might grind the cellulose I'd be happy to hear.

4 comments:

  1. Paperclay is a really good product but kind of expensive. Have you tried grinding after you have added water to the cellulose? When making homemade paper, you grind the slurry in a blender to achieve a smooth consistency; you might try using a Cuisinart to do the same thing for your paper mache in small batches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wanted to update you on your suggestion and let you know this is now how I regularly process my cellulose insulation. I simply squeeze the water out of the slurry at the end and proceed to make a really awesome paper clay with the additional ingredients. Thanks for the tip!

      Rich

      Delete
  2. That I have not! My only question, though, would be on how to achieve the appropriate thickness of "clay" afterwards as obviously I wouldn't want it too thin. But I could experiment with varying amounts of water since, yes, it seems the cellulose needs some sort of binding agent in the blender/chopper/food processor (hmm, don't know if the wife would allow me to use the big food processor for this!).

    Thanks, I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Before I found Jonni's site I was soaking paper napkins in water, sqeezing the water out and letting them dry. Then I would put small amounts at a time in my coffee grinder. It made fairly decent clay, but it really looked best if I made something that was suppose to look like granite or stone. Thanks for sharing your information - it's very helpful!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */