Saturday, April 28, 2012

Lack of Goodwill

Thrift stores like Goodwill Industries and The Salvation Army are great places to find things for our haunts at discounted prices, but I'm beginning to see a trend where the discounts aren't so steep anymore. Maybe like all the air cylinders that used to be had on eBay for a steal or vent motors for a few bucks, haunter demand has pushed prices higher.

It seems the thrift stores realize they can earn a few more dollars for themselves while still providing a generally good discount. It's just not as steep as it once was.

I have a number of thrift stores within 15 minutes or so of my home so I try to make the rounds regularly just to see if there's anything I can use. I see some haunters on YouTube who go to these stores and come back with armfuls of stuff and they've spent less than $10. That doesn't happen in my area.

Today I was in one and saw a headset with a microphone. Since I participate in the Shadow of Palms video chat on Thursday nights -- you should stop by and check it out, lots of haunters from around the country just chewing the fat with one another -- I figured the headphones and mic would limit any potential feedback that sometimes occurs. However, the Goodwill store wanted $13 for it. I could buy one at Walmart for about $10, maybe $20, but I know it's new and if there's a problem with it I can return it. It just seemed a bit pricey to me, and I've noticed it on a lot of other items as well. That plastic head at the top that I plan to use as some kind of form was $3. Sounds cheap, but I don't think it was really worth more than a dollar or two.

So I think at least in my area the thrift stores are seeing a lot more business -- maybe it's the economy -- and they slowly inching their prices up. Of course, they have higher expenses too, like fuel and such which they undoubtedly have to compensate for, but they're not as thrifty as they once were.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. That's why I love garage sales. I just found your blog through the frugal crafter....you have lots of neat stuff. I'll surely be checking out your previous posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, carolyn, glad to have you aboard! In addition to yard sales, check out a Yahoo! Groups group called Freecycle. There's typically one in most major cities and surrounding areas.

      On Freecycle people give away things they no longer have use for. There tends to be a lot of baby clothes and toys, but a lot of furniture and other items. I've scored some great finds from Freecycle: a brand new grandfather clock, a mantle clock, and antique barrister's bookcase that's estimated to be worth as much as $1500, and all manor of other items large and small.

      Depending on how active you group is, you might end up with a lot of emails, if you choose to be notified that way, but it's a great resource.

      Once again, thanks!

      Rich

      Delete
  2. So true. Prices are not as cheap as they once were at thrift stores, especially Goodwill. Fortunately there are multiple thrift stores nearby that I can browse and still come away with fairly good deals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's a testament of the times we live in that there does seem to always be a brisk business in these stores. Supply and demand at work.

      Rich

      Delete
  3. I've noticed this as well. Lots more dearly loved sorts of things ending up there, and prices are higher. Makes me sad.


    A Halloween blog with a debt clock definitely gets a follow from me. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many of the thrift stores are relying on their income to support their agency as a major source of income. MAny are no longer staff by volunteers but paid staff that contributes to the rise in prices. But I feel that ebay and other sites have contributed to the higher costs. I can't tell you how many times I have been told " we looked it up, its cheaper than online". They are no longer kust getting donations nad pricing them to sell. They are trying to make the most money. This comes from all the stories of something being bought for $2 and sold for $100.

    It makes the Haunt Hunt more difficult. Yardhaunter5 has inroduced the Goodwill Distribution Center. They are great for large hauls for little cash. It takes regular visits and patience but deals can be had.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */