Monday, April 11, 2011

An Unearthly Pairing

Saturday Nightmares will be hosting a Horror & Sci-Fi Expo on June 3-5 at the Sheraton Meadowlands Hotel in East Rutherford, NJ.

Usually I'm loathe to drive any appreciable distance to attend one of these types of functions, but as this one is really just 10 minutes or so from my house I'd be remiss in not showing up and seeing what they have to offer. The lineup seems interesting enough.

They'll be screening movies and the (better) Rod Serling version of The Twilight Zone will be playing all weekend long. Some of horror's luminaries will be there with Tippi Hendren appearing at "The Birds" screening and Sid Haig will be around for "House of 1000 Corpses." I have to admit that was some inspired casting by Rob Zombie. While I was less than impressed with his "Halloween" reimaginings, his white, trailer park trash slasher flicks are immensely entertaining. Haig's Captain Spaulding is an enduring character.

There are quite of few characters that will be in attendance, unfortunately Megan Fox doesn't appear to be one of them, more's the shame ("Jennifer's Body" was genius, I tell ya). Lisa Marie will be there so I guess that's consolation. "Hellraisers" Doug Bradley (Pinhead) is scheduled to be there too, though he doesn't interest me in the way Megan Fox would.

On Friday vendors will be available when the doors open at 5:00 p.m., along with the opportunity for celebrity autographs, while on Saturday there will be the New Jersey Zombie Walk during the day and a masquerade ball at night with a costume contest. Sunday is similar to Friday, though it ends at 2:30 p.m. Panel discussions will be held throughout the weekend.

It's a three-day affair, with tickets going for $20 per day. What I don't get is why there's no discount for a full weekend pass (it's $60 for all three days) and that there's no benefit to ordering tickets early (they're $60 too). Unless I missed the fine print somewhere, smarter marketing would have offered some sort of discount for either ordering early or taking a 3-day pass. As it is, I'll try to choose a date that seems best. Saturday I imagine will be the busiest day, but Sid Haig will be there.

It's no Transworld or HAuNTcon, but for a first time show attendee it should be fun. Wanna go? Hit me up and we can make it a group trip! First round's on me.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */