Saturday, October 30, 2010

Nothing Left But the Cleanup

The food is gone, the cups are empty, and while the miscellaneous undergarments have been taken off the chandelier there is still the sense of a whirlwind having blown through. No one had to be carted home in a wheelbarrow, which was fortunate, and the highlight of the night (well, for me anyway) was when Jessica Rabbit showed up. She's not bad, she's just drawn that way. I knew there was a reason I liked that movie.

It all looked so pretty beforehand, but now the real work begins. Pulling up the tablecloths, breaking down the tables, cleaning up the...glop...from the floors.

Yet today is also one of conflicting emotions. This morning I'll be saying goodbye to my friend John as he's laid to rest with full police honors. They're expecting upwards of 8,000 people to be attending. If you've never seen a police funeral they're full of rituals and customs.

Aside from the playing of "Taps," the mournful sound of bagpipes, or the roll of drums, there's also the "last call," the attempt to locate the officer on the radio and the three-rifle volley. His badge number will be officially retired and the flag that is draped over the coffin is folded into a triangle and presented to his wife. It is very similar to a military funeral and many of the traditions come from the military. As is often described, there will be a "sea of blue" as police officers from around the country come to pay their respects for an officer killed in the line of duty.

At the other end of the emotional spectrum, another good friend will be renewing his wedding vows for his 25th anniversary. How special is that? There's a cross-country trip that will begin after Halloween and end in Hawaii. A true haunter if there was one...sorry honey, I love you and all, but we can't go to Hawaii until after I scare the kids! Congratulations, both of you. Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you sure have a lot going on. That is how life works. I once had a family member of a decedent say, with tears in his eyes "Life always goes on, doesn't it", I replied,"yes, even when we don't want it to". I gave that man I had never met before a hug. I'm sending you one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GFinID,

    Thanks very much. Comforting indeed.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */